Wednesday, March 28, 2012

11 Things

Hello Again!

As I experiment and in an attempt to let you know more about what I want for this blog, I thought I would expand a little on some things about me. First though, this post is something that I saw on Start Acting My Age. If you haven't read this blog, you should. Her blog sort of inspired me to start Thrive.  I have known Allie for a long time and she is one of the most creative people I know. Serious. She's awesome. (She didn't even ask me to say that).

Anyway, I will post a picture and 11 random things about me, answer questions that Allie proposed on her blog, then give 11 more questions for you, if you wish to participate. So, here goes nothin'. (I'll try not to bore you).

This is a picture of my fam. (Minus mom and dad, plus adam).
Jessie is my oldest sister--she's a decorated athlete, a soon-to-be physical therapist, and someone I truly admire.
Terri is my 'little' sister--at 6' she isn't so little. She is a soon-to-be math teacher...and major math geek ;)--kidding.
Justin is my 'little' brother--again, he's taller than me at 15, and I'm not short! He's an awesome kid with a ton of potential.


11 Things: (I first asked Adam to help me with this, but it turned into him telling me every little thing I do to annoy him...so, needless to say, I did these myself)

1. It was in undergrad that I realized what I wanted to do with my life. I signed up for the class..."Contemporary Social Problems", and realized this was my thing. Weird, huh?

2. I have always struggled with giving myself a label. I never truly thought I had one in particular that stood out. (ex. athlete, bookworm, the 'funny one'). I really always thought I was a little bit of everything. Having said that, this has carried over into my daily life as I constantly think that if I wasn't going to be a counselor, I would be a million different other things.

3. I think too much. I drive myself insane over very simple, usually non-important things.

4. If I were to meet you for the first time, you would probably think I was weird and shy. I am introverted, self-conscious, and get nervous in new situations.

5. Something quirky...I can only drink certain beverages with certain foods. Some foods just don't go with certain beverages. For example, I love coffee. I drink it every morning. But I can't drink it while eating, for instance, scrambled eggs. But I will drink it with a bagel. Is that weird?

6. Growing up on a farm I always had animals around me, but NEVER in the house. So, I was indifferent to animals and having them in the house until I met Mudge. (the best dog ever). You will meet him eventually. He is my personal foot warmer.

7. Along with that, I have Raynaud's (Phenonmenon) Syndrome. Find out what it is here. Therefore, I *should* be wearing wool socks 9 months out of the year. (For example, my feet are freezing right now) But a girl needs flip flops.

8. I am a firm believer in getting enough sleep. Plan your schedule so you can get 7-9 hours of sleep and you will feel so much better. I promise.

9. I am a terrible speller (mostly thanks to my impatience and lack of abililty to double-check things)and lack some major vocab skills. You will never see me use big words.

10. In honor of Adam, I will share a bad habit that I have. I never close cupboards. If I open the cupboard to take out a bowl, I almost never shut it. I don't know why. My 6'6" father used to get mad at me about this too.

11. While in college, I lost 30 pounds (from my heaviest to my lightest). I will share, however, that all my methods for losing that weight are not some that I would recommend, but now that I have gained a few pounds back and found a HEALTHY approach to MAINTAINING my very normal weight, I feel I can share some tips with you.

Next, I will answer the questions from Allie's blog...(hang in there)

1. Who is your favorite person?
I have a lot. :) But my favorite is my husband...and my mom. :)

2. What is your biggest pet peeve?
When people lack a little word I like to call 'tact'. In all respects, but especially: *That moment when you have a booger on your nose and your tactless friend yells it across the room.* Grrr.

3. If you had to pick one outfit to wear everyday for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I am absolutely 100% not a fashion expert. I know what I like, and I think I know how to dress my own body type...I like style and comfort. But mostly comfort...so if I am being honest, I think I have to say sweatpants.

4. What is one thing you are really really good at?
Like I have said before, I don't know if there is one thing. Maybe I am still trying to figure that out. But, I do believe I am a good listener.

5. If you weren't in your current profession, what other profession would you choose?
Haha. This one changes daily...some days I would like to be a chef...other days I would like to be a nutrtionist...some days I would like to be a preschool teacher...some days I would like to be a photographer...some days a hairdresser...some days own my own crafty store. It depends on my mood, really. :)

6. What do you do when you are trying to procrastinate?
Unfortunately I waste too much time on Facebook. That is another reason why I wanted to create this blog. Instead of mindlessly being sucked into people's lives, I thought I would keep my brain actually working by creating this in my free time.

7. What are the 3 closets things to you right now?
My planner. Chai Latte. My cell phone.

8. If you were to describe yourself (not physically!) to someone who didn't know you, what 5 words would you use?
Wow, I can't even describe how much I hate this question. :) Shy, Kind, Fun, Creative, Moody (hey, I can admit it!).

9. What traits or quirks did you inherit from your parents?
I definately inherited the obnoxious Dirks (my maiden name) giggles. If you spend an hour with my family (especially my extended family) you would know what I mean. I can tell it is a family member laughing from a mile away. And there is a lot of laughter.

10. What would your perfect day consist of?
Sleeping in, drinking coffee, doin' a little shopping, visting friends or family and having good conversation, taking a walk or run, having a nice family dinner, and unwinding with a glass of wine with my husband. :)

There you have it. Here are some questions for YOU if you would like to participate:

1. What was your favorite food as a child?
2. What chore do you absolutely despise doing?
3. If you could learn any new task, what would it be?
4. What is one of your favorite quotes?
5. If you could change your first name, what would you change it to?
6. If you have 30 minutes of free time, how would you spend it?
7. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
8. What makes you cry?
9. What do you miss most about being a kid?
10. What was the last experience that made you a better person?

Let me know if you choose to participate.

Have a good night! --And in the words of one of my faves (Ellen DeGeneres):
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"

No comments:

Post a Comment