Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lowfat Banana Bread

Lowfat banana bread... hmmm...my guess is that you are reading this recipe for one of two reasons: 1) You like the lowfat option or 2) you are groaning at another lowfat option. Either way, I assure you, this will NOT disappoint!

Like I have said in other posts, I believe that we need to indulge sometimes! However, when you start to realize that you are letting yourself a little too much, it might be time to think of a healthier version. And by healthier version, I do not mean skimping out on taste. Because quite frankly, when you deprive yourself, you end up OVER indulging in something worse for you. So, this recipe is one I found online a while ago, but I believe I have altered the recipe to make it even better for you. When I have this around, I eat it morning, noon, and night. Yes, I am bragging.

It is one of my absolute, all-time, favorite recipes. I make this at least twice a month. Adam always says he will eat it, but usually I end up eating the entire loaf over the course of about a week. (And I wonder why I've put on a few pounds;))

Anyway, here is what you will need:

-3 or 4 very ripe bananas (*I often do not eat bananas fast enough. When they get brown I put them in my freezer for this recipe)
-1 1/2 cups flour (*I choose to use whole wheat flour, and it works just fine in this recipe)
-3/4 cup white sugar (*The original recipe calls for a whole cup, but I cut out some to save calories because the bread still tastes great without it.)
-1/4 cup milled flaxseed (*flaxseed is very good for your digestive health! Therefore I sneak some in with the sugar. You can't taste it I promise)
-2 tablespoons butter, softened
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-3 tablespoons egg whites (*this equals about one egg...I just use egg whites to cut out the fat)
-2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (*applesauce is the master of replacing oil...and in my opinion, yummier)
-Cinnamon (*Cinnamon is heart healthy! It has a lot of health benefits and, its yummy. So use as much as you want, I am very generous with it!)

Step 1: In my case, the first steps is to unthaw the bananas. When you freeze them, then unthaw them, they are VERY mushy and almost watery. However, the mushier/watery they are means the bread will be more moist! If you do not freeze your bananas, mash them in a bowl.

Step 2: 


Combine all ingredients into bowl.

Step 3: Mix well.

Step 4:

Grease loaf pan. (*Picture in case you did not know how to do this;))

Step 5: Pour contents into loaf pan.

Step 5: (Please excuse my dirty oven. I would greatly appreciate a tutorial on how to clean it!)
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. It will be golden brown on top. I usually use the ol' toothpick trick to make sure it is done. (*Stick a toothpick in the middle of the loaf until it comes out clean)

Step 6:
Let cool.

Step 7:


ENJOY! Looks delicious right!? It is!


This makes a quick but nutritious and delicious breakfast! I often eat mine in the car when I am running late. Which is most of the time. Let me know what you think! 

-Be Kind to One Another-

No comments:

Post a Comment