Friday, April 13, 2012

Running Goal

Most people know that exercise is one of the most important things you can do for your health. I have recently been interested in the Blue Zones Project that has come to Iowa as of late. Take a look at the link and see what it is about. I like their ideas behind exercise. They give very simple and practical advice about getting natural exercise. For example, the research shows that you do not have to be a marathon runner; but simple things like taking the stairs and interntionally parking further away can improve your overall health. (This, of course, combine with a healthy diet!).

I try to use this in my own life. However, running has always been very important to me. I ran cross country and track in high school and developed close bonds with my teammates. I think it was the combination between many endorphins flowing and sooo much time running together! Therefore, I have always wanted to keep running in my life. Last year, my older sister and I ran a half marathon in September. I beat my goal time by almost 10 minutes! My time was 1 hr. 50 mins. I decided last summer that I would make it my goal to run 2 half marathons every summer. This will help keep me heart healthy. So, I am attempting to keep this promise to myself.

This is me running a 5K last summer (where I P.R.'d by the way :))

 
Right now, I am not in the best shape. Being under stress makes me VERY talented in making excuses as to why I cannot get a workout in. But most half marathon workout plans are approx. 10 weeks, which means I should start any time now. The training plans that I have used in the past were from Runner's World but you now have to pay for them. Which is very disappointing! But, I found the following FREE plans from Shape Magazine.
If you are interested in running I reccommend that you start very slow. Maybe search for 5k training first. My goal is to begin this program at the end of April. Until then, I will be working my way back up to 15 miles per week approximately. It will be quite a journey but here, on my blog, I am posting my goals! Feel free to ask me how I am doing. So here starts this new running goal. Running, running, running....you should too!

-Be Kind to One Another-

No comments:

Post a Comment