Saturday, March 31, 2012

DIY Pallet Art

I hope you are having a fantastic weekend. I plan to give you a “My Weekend in Instagram” post on Sunday to let you know what we were up to (Which isn’t much). I have also redesigned the blog a couple of times since last week. I am pretty happy with this one... I change my mind often and therefore there is a good chance it might change. ;)
Meanwhile I thought I would share a DIY project that I worked on a couple of weeks ago. I won’t lie, I am pretty proud of it. So proud of it in fact, that it is what hangs over my couch as the main decoration in my living room. Here is a photo:


If you would like to try it…
You’ll need:


-Paint/Paintbrush. ( I used cheap acrylic paint from Wal-Mart. I mixed black and brown because of the color of this pallet. )


-Rubber Cement


-A pallet. (Adam and I literally went dumpster diving for this amazing pallet. We found and kept this pallet along with many others that I plan on using for other projects…someday. My recommendation for finding pallets without spending money, is to literally walk into any local business and ask if they have any. Some businesses pay someone to haul pallets away, so my guess is they will be OK with letting you take one…or a fewJ )


-Scrapbook Paper -(This is one of my favorite things and one of those purchases that was totally worth it. This big book of scrapbook paper cost about $20 at Michael’s…however, there are 180 sheets and a great variety of designs. I have used it for several projects and it’s still going strong.. My personal fave is the damask design.)


I did this project before the time of Thrive, so I didn’t really take pictures of the process. But it is pretty easy to figure out.


1.       Clean off your pallet. I had to do this due to the pile of junk we found it under. Might be a good idea.


2.       Paint branches. I was nervous about this and even had my mom come and start painting the branches for me. (*fyi- my mom is a very talented artist. She has so much talent and I wish people could enjoy her work more often). Anyway, I took over after a while and really, it doesn’t matter how precise your branch design is. You don’t have to be an expert painter, trust me! You can do it.


3.       Obviously, let it dry.


4.       Cut several different sizes of circles from your scrapbook paper. I searched my house and used the salt and pepper shaker and lid from my jar of honey as 2 different sizes and traced them on the paper. I’m a dork, I know. Just be creative. Also, use a variety of different scrapbook designs and colors.


5.       Arrange the circles on the end of the branches (as leaves) in a color combination that you like. Then, rubber cement them to the wood.


6.       Let the glue dry.


7.       *You are going to have to find a way to hang this on the wall. Pinterest shows many different ways to creatively hang things on the wall (pop tabs, paper clips, ect). However, the good, sturdy, picture hanging hooks are $1 at Wal-Mart. In my opinion, it is easier, and I KNOW it will work, so I would rather spend the dollar.*


*How could I make it even better?*


I did not do this to the picture, but it would look neat if someone did…Give the entire pallet a coat or two of Mod Podge. It will make the whole thing look more polished.

There it is. What do you think? I personally love it. I also sketched a bird…something that I learned from this website, but did it on scrapbook paper.


Here it hangs, over my couch. Like I said, I personally love it, and it is now the main piece of art in my home.


Hope you like it. If not, make it your own. Always design your stuff to fit YOU. Enjoy your weekend.





-Be Kind to One Another-

No comments:

Post a Comment